Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Goats, School, 101

Turn, turn, turn… Seems my life never slows down. So I am sure you are wondering what is up with this title! It’s random isn’t it? I was going for shock value mostly because I just cracked Chrystal up considerably with my goat announcement. Tee hee!

GOATS: Ok, no I do not have goats just yet. I’m thinking about it. You see my niece Brittny is in 4-H and has four or five (I can’t remember) prego Momma goats. This is part of her Meat Goat project. My dear, dear sister in her infinite wisdom has informed her kids that their “Crazy Aunt” does not have a real “farm” but rather an animal sanctuary. Thanks sis! Keep in mind this is my sister’s version and not mine plus its only 10 acres not really a HUGE farm. Still I find it funny that my sister is trying to understand why I work with cats/dogs and find them new homes, i.e. run a rescue in my free time.

Thanks to her Mom, my niece who is seven got to thinking, she’s rather cleaver by the way. It occurred to her that if she sends her goats to Aunt Kristi then they won’t have to go to market. Seemed like a great plan to her and I’ve been receiving the full court press on the matter. She gives me weekly updates on the Momma goats who could possibly deliver around April, maybe.
It’s been comical. You may wonder what does 007 think of goats? He doesn’t care for the idea at all. He thinks they will eat the siding off of the house. I asked him why would they be near the house and he claims they are cleaver like that. Another one of our friends told him they will probable try to climb on top of the vehicles. This did not go over very well but it did get him thinking about building some kind a goat jungle gym. That should make you laugh he is an engineer to the core.

Anyway, goats are a possible addition to the ranch come early spring. Hmmm. Oh, I have no real plan for them. I guess my GSD Orson could practice herding them. Other than that I really don’t know what I’ll do with them. I hear they are good at cleaning up underbrush and maybe trainable to our electronic underground fence. Now wouldn’t that be something!

SCHOOL: Well, its official my vet school application cycle for class 2013 is done. I received rejection letters from the other two schools I applied to. It’s not a huge shock after getting the news from my in-state school. Still it is a blow to the ego. I applied to Colorado(CSU) and Iowa (ISU). Both letters were however nicer than my in-state letter. So I guess that is positive. CSU also said that they receive 1800 qualified applications this year for a class of 115. Yea, that’s some great odds. I feel a bit stupid for even applying there but one never knows if they’ll get lucky. Another gal I know summed it up best, “You have to play in the game to win, chances are you probably won’t win but if you don’t play than it’s guaranteed.” Still it’s a tough game of putting yourself out there and feeling so damn vulnerable.

For me I over analyze at this point in the process and I actually had a nightmare last night that the reason I was rejected was for a math class! Yea, I have no idea where that thought came from as I’ve taken quiet a bit of math courses. I guess it’s just the minds way of trying to figure out how to improve. I am starting to think that there really is no way to predict what the schools are looking for. It’s just a case of having so many qualified applicants to pick from. Add to that fact that many applicants are now applying not only with a Bachelors but also a Masters degree. Yea, great!

I don’t know if I can justify a Master’s degree for this new direction. I already feel rather stupid for getting a 2nd bachelors degree. Granted I always get the advice of, “Well get a Masters in something that interests you so you have a plan B.” That is great advice, believe me it really is. However, it does me no damn good! I honestly can’t for the life of me come up with something else that I want to-do other than get goats. Let me tell ya, the goat thing is far cheaper than a Master’s degree, well theoretically that is! Maybe, I can use that logic on 007. Nah...

Ugh… it would be great if I could figure this mess out… i.e. what the hell am I going to do with myself.

I guess I should also mention that classes have started for Chemistry II, Organic I (on going) and Physics I. Yea, it’s enough to make me want to jump off a bridge because of how mundane they are. It is going fairly well though so I really shouldn’t complain. My friend is taking Parisatology this semester and I am very jealous, but I know if I sign up for that class I’ll neglect my others so I will just SUCK IT up! I may still complain though, so I apologize in advance.

I just can’t fathom how repeating freshman/sophomore courses will prove anything to admissions committees. I guess I won’t know unless I try though. My in-state has told me that they will use whatever course I have the best grade in. NICE! Other schools average the grade which honestly makes more sense but who knows. I think the other strike against me is my in-state needs OOS tuition rates so the number of accepted state residence is only ½ of the class size. Compare this to ten years ago when the class was about 90% state residences.

101: I’ll probable blog about this separate at some point but figured I should put it down. My Grandmother turned 101 on September 10th. She’s a really amazing person and my middle name is shared with her. We are a lot alike and have this bond that has seen me through some challenges. Unfortunately, for me I think our time together is coming to a close. She is in a nursing home in my hometown and the staff is wonderful. I have had the opportunity to get to know quiet a few of them. I am grateful that she has had such good care and I have had so much time with her.

My sister called on Monday to let me know that hospice has stepped in. What a wonderful organization I just can’t thank them enough. Now I don’t know how much time she has or what the next few weeks will hold for us. However, I know it’ll be ok and her pain will be managed. I’ve been going down to see her each day and taking at least one of my dogs with me. They seem to provide some type of comfort on another level. Yesterday, Orson just sat there by her bed with his head close enough so she could just pets him endlessly. Pepe, my toy poodle just curled up near her and rested his head on her arm. It was wonderful to have them there. As for me I just sit there and hold her hand. Sometimes we talk briefly and sometimes I read to her. She is fading in and out of conciseness which is hard to witness but the process is what it is. It’ll be alright.

1 comment:

Chrystal said...

Oh my goodness. I am in tears here. I just made that beautiful photo my desktop picture.